Of Images, Artistry and We


19. Do They not observe the birds above them, spreading their wings and folding them in? None can uphold them except ((Allah)) Most gracious: truly ((Allah)) Most gracious: truly it is He that watches over all things. (Qur'an 67:19)
I always have this impression that images can give a profound impact and influence on one’s life. At least, how that particular individual looks at the very surrounding or milieu that he or she is living in. Indeed, a picture speaks a thousand words. Try to show a picture that you find fascinating, appealing and absorbing to you friend, and listen to his or her interpretation. It might be that he/she interprets that picture in a common ground as yours or it is also possible that, he/she might have a total reverse of interpretation from yours! That is why we say beauty is in the eyes of the beholder! People look at things differently.
A picture like this may tell you that:
1) I’m a British and I’m also a Muslim.
2) I love my country so much!!
3) Hijab is my right !
4) Is it true that I'm oppressed?
5) The list goes on….

Personally, I don’t consider myself as an artistic person or what. Yet, I would say that I am a person who appreciates art (I guess!! ). I remember having seen this image in a mini exhibition that I used to go long time ago. The image portrayed a niqabi(a veiled women) which happened to be a beautician and is busy preparing her client(a model) which is the total opposite of how she dresses. You know what I mean. Yes, I do have my own interpretation of such image, but it is not important here. The most important thing which I am trying to say is, you may deduce thousands of interpretations only with a simple yet striking image. It ignites your senses. It can tickle your heart; make you burst into tears, tranquil your heart, soothe you when you feel distressed and in deep sorrow and many others. Isn’t it great? The facts that the world we are living in is filled with many implicit elements require us to reflect them. Not to look at those images with a mere look, rather to look them from your third “eyes”. Meaning to say, if you want to look at something, it should come from the bottom of your heart. From your sixth sense I guess?? .Only then you would be able to reflect them.

Just look at how Allah has created His creations. Its all varied in terms of colors, shapes, looks, size and many other attributes-so that we human being may reflect why they are so. Don’t you think life would be dull if Allah created this world colourless (even black and white is color right?).It must be hard to imagine living in such world.!!That is why, Allah asks us to look at His artistic creations and reflect them. Indeed, there is wisdom behind it. The ‘images’ or ‘paintings’ that He has used to portray this very world is actually a signal that He wants to send a message to us. Whatever those messages are, only those who really reflect would understand them. My point here is that, why don’t we use the same methodology? It doesn’t matter what message that you want to send-be it message of humanity, world peace, environmental awareness and definitely for Muslim, truly there are lots of advantages of using images to portray the real picture and nature of Islam. Maybe people like Peter Sanders can be your role model I guess?.InsyaAllah, if we are really sincere in conveying the message, Allah will make it easy for us to do our part..
Allahu’Allam (Allah knows best)

0 comments: